Pages

Sweet News...

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Jesus tells us to not be anxious about our lives. I really struggle with that. Even down to little weekend trips like we just had. I get anxious that it won't be restful, that we won't have fun together, and that we wished we would have just stayed home.

I really understand why Jesus says do not be anxious. Sometimes cruddy things will happen. But most of the time, the time you spend worrying does nothing but make you feel like your heart is going to jump out of your chest or you end up acting like such a pessimist no one wants to be around you.

This weekend was really really restful. We really enjoyed ourselves. We ate good food, read, and most importantly spent good quality time with amazing people. One of the most restful parts for me was Chris watching Siena with Grandma M so that I could go to Starbucks. I totally just unloaded when I was there, drank coffee, blogged, and read. The night before I was talking to Chris about reading scripture and how I really wanted a bible study because I felt like I was just in one of those seasons of opening my bible and reading whatever was on that page. I've been there before and it's not my favorite place.

He reminded me of something though and it was such a fruitful conversation. He asked me what it would be like if I only had scripture to lean on. Did I think it was enough to sustain me? The words that surpass all cultures, times, and seasons in life. Was it good enough for me?

At first I was a little caught off guard. I explained to him that I needed a study to help me read and get things out of God's Word. But then I started thinking about what he said and it came to me. What he said was true. This does not down-grade any studies out there because I have learned SO much from many that I have done. Studies are good/beneficial/uplifting, but if we didn't have them would we still be filled? The Lord through his Holy Spirit can reveal to me truths through just reading his word. Chris challenged me to just start reading a section of scripture even one or two verses and really meditate on them. So while in Starbucks I just went to Romans where I had been reading the last few days.

I read Romans 1:16 that says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." I am NOT ashamed of the gospel. I read this over and over and over again. Am I ashamed? I cannot be ashamed! It says right in that verse that it is the power of God for salvation for all who believe. If I, someone who believes this, is ashamed of the gospel, how can I tell people? How can I explain that it is the sweetest news that they have ever heard?

Make that my life Jesus.
I am not ashamed of the good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment