Pages

Spic and Span

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

If I said our house was always clean and everything was always put away that would be a lie. But I do like to keep it clean most of the time. Chris likes things organized, decluttered, and minimal. I try to love him well and keep our house that way.

It doesn't always work.

When we lived with our friends who are more like family, we started a cleaning check off list. This was my friend Lexi's idea - which was a great one! We used it for all areas of the house and did it all in one day during the week. When we moved here I had a much smaller space to care for and wasn't sure how I wanted to do it. I realized a few weeks in that I was slacking, nothing was clean, and everything was still in chaos.

I decided to scour pinterest for some cleaning check list ideas. They may suit you, but they didn't work well for me. I tried for two weeks using a method where you did upkeep in the morning and night (that part I like) and then one chore a day. After two weeks of this I realized that I felt like I never stopped cleaning and never got a break. It is supposed to make you feel like you aren't spending hours cleaning. But it made me feel like I could never let go of the spray bottle and wash cloth.

Finally I decided to go back to the once a week method. I really like this WAY better. I do vacuum the night before because this enables me to get right to cleaning when Siena lays her head on the pillow the next afternoon. And of course, I always have to give myself grace because like yesterday there will be days when not all of it gets done and I'll finish it today.

But then the great part comes and from Wednesday - Saturday I don't clean at all! I pick up toys and put away clothes but the deep cleaning is all done for our home.

Here is the list that I use

Cleaning

Just another note: I do laundry on a need to do basis. It just doesn't work for me to do it once a week. I also stick this printed sheet inside a sheet protector and hang it on our fridge. Then just use a dry erase marker to check off what you've accomplished!


If you want the word document to change a few things and use it for your home, just let me know!
~Megan

2 comments: