Pages

accountability and discipline

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Good afternoon!
It is sunny here. Finally! A hot 70degrees... Boy, I am in for a rude awakening in a few days. Orlando is averaging 93degrees this week. But I am excited!

Thank you for holding me accountable. I know. I know. You can't really hold me accountable. But something about knowing that I wrote that I would be running that day, well it made me go out and do it. Would you like to see my cheerleader who greeted me with claps right when I was done?
Here she is.
photo
photo (1)

Pretty darn cute huh? I think so!
Anyway, on to the important things.

The Knight family has been having to do a lot of thinking lately. About discipline. Discipline with finances, our walks with Christ, our time, our relationships, our parenting (not necessarily disciplining Siena yet;), and exercise. Right now, I am reading Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life by Donald Whitney. I started reading it a few months ago in my accountability group with two other ladies. Honestly, this is one of the best books I've ever read. I would recommend it right after the Bible. It talks through 1Tim 4:7-8 that says, Rather train yourself for godliness, for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the one to come.

This book talks about being disciplined spiritually so that we become more like Christ and glorify him with our lives. Basically, this book has started to focus me on being disciplined. I know that in my life I am a Christ follower, then a wife, then a mama, then a friend/daughter/athlete/any.other.role.i.have.

So do my priorities show themselves in that way? Do yours?

Here are some ways that we are trying to actually have this happen in our household -
  • Siena goes down for her first nap at 9. It is SO tempting to rush around getting things to be organized, dishes done, laundry done, emails, pinterest, blogging... You get the gist. But I must meet with Jesus first or my day is chaos. I must meet with him or my perspective is so off for the entire day.
  • Chris has a day off. I want to spend it all with him - sleeping in (7:50.. I know it's laughable), eating, going to the park, planning. But I know I need Jesus more - so I come here to Starbucks to meet him and to get some quiet time away from the world.
  • Siena cries and whines and yells and screams. At this point I want to freak out. Tell Chris to turn the car around. To go home. To stop the plans. But instead, I love him. I give in to his pleas for prayer and woah. Everything goes the opposite direction. Because I let my husband lead me out of my sin and to the King.
  • I'm invited to go to another event. I've already been to a few coffee dates, play dates, etc... that week. My house is a mess. Our lives feel as if they are in disarray. Should I go? No, I should be wife, home-maker, mom. Get things done. Love my family.
  • Siena wakes up. Everything is calm. I could go on the computer. We could lazily do nothing (which is not always bad!). But I discipline myself and go on a jog. The Bible says that bodily training is of some value. Not ALL value. But some. So, to love my family by being healthy, by stewarding my body well. I go out and get my run on.
I am not always good at these things. But this is what Jesus is teaching me.
How do you discipline yourself for godliness?
Photobucket

4 comments: