Pages

31 days

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Soon I will write an entire blog post on my mom. If you have ever read my blog, talked to me, or known me at all - you know I have a wonderful, selfless, beautiful mom. She always knows what I need, is willing to help me, and prays for me constantly.

On one of her trips here last week she brought a devotional. We were talking about something the previous week and just like she does - she spent time looking for something that would fill that need that we discussed and came across a certain devotional that she was given at some point. The title of the devotional is Basket of Blessings; 31 Days to a More Grateful Heart by Karen O'Connor. I have only read the Introduction and I am hooked.

Hooked on pursuing and praying for a more grateful heart.

Here is an excerpt from the introduction.

A grateful heart is a gift from God. Left to our own initiative, we might never develop one. we can always find something to complain about or improve.

Criticism has its place. Change is often a good thing. But life is full of blessings as well ... from a warm pool of morning sun on a bedroom carpet to the shimmering lights reflected on a rain-soaked neighborhood street. From a little child snuggled in our lap to a brand-new car in the driveway.

We can be grateful for the unexpected: a note from an old friend with whom we have lost touch... or a word of encouragement from a person we hardly know.

We can be grateful for beauty: the fresh face of a baby after a long nap ... or water droplets resting on a red rose after a rain.

We can be grateful for pain: the death of a loved one, divorce, or illness ... each a gift in its own way if we take time to see it.

We can be grateful for the predictable: hot cereal with cinnamon ever morning at seven ... or a sunny day in southern California.

We can be grateful for the unpredictable: our spouse's mood, the weather, our own feelings.

People... places... experiences. All give us reasons to be grateful.

How different our lives would be if we turned our hearts toward gratitude - not just occasionally, as on Thanksgiving Day or Mother's Day. Not just a greeting-card kind of thanks but a genuine gratefulness that expresses itself in a hymn of heartfelt praise to God. What would happen if we cultivated a daily habit of expressing gratitude, one that helped us count all of life good, regardless of the circumstances?


Besides this journey in my own life; I've decided to journey along with you. Everyone can benefit from being more grateful; but if you're at all like me, you have to pray to desire to have that attitude. So join me if you like for 31 days.

Please Jesus make us more grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment